Monday, May 23, 2011

Out, out, damn thoughts!

Over the weekend I endured a cold, or, as I like to call it, an adventure in mucus. It’s much better now, but I still have a lingering cough. One that makes my throat feel like I swallowed sandpaper. Luckily, it doesn’t seem to be settling down into my chest. For that, I am very thankful.

Today, since I’ve been out of commission since Thursday, I was supposed to get a lot done. And I started off the day with every intention of that occurring.

Then…something happened.

I’m actually not entirely sure what it was. Maybe it’s just lingering fatigue from the cold. Maybe it’s allergies. Maybe a change in the weather. Maybe it’s just me.

But whatever it was, I haven’t been able to be productive all day.

I don’t have any motivation, or any energy. I don’t have any oomph.

That’s a technical term, right? Oomph.

So, anyhow, here’s to another wasted day.

But I’m trying to be too down about it. Because I read an article today about banishing negative thoughts.

It’s an interesting concept. After all, negativity seems to be one of the very things that makes us who we are. “To kvetch is human…” Or something like that.

Anyhow, it seems to go against most of what I’ve read about emotional health. I’m pretty sure most experts say it’s okay to have negative thoughts, to experience anger and blame others, and that it’s important to acknowledge these feelings when they occur. They are normal.

But what if they aren’t necessary? What if you can live a happier, more productive life by not allowing these feelings in the first place?

I’m not sure how I feel about the concept of not dwelling on negativity (something I am quite skilled at). However, I do agree with the article that life is too short to waste time on unconstructive thinking. So I’m going to give this a try. Even if it doesn’t become wholly ingrained in my behavior, it can’t hurt to learn how to let go of my negative thoughts. Or at least some of them.

So I guess today wasn’t wasted. I learned a new mental coping mechanism, and I completed another blog post for the month of May. Here’s to my success!

No comments: