Sunday, May 8, 2011

Found: One Inner Child

Remember when you were a little kid, and you were invincible? You could do anything, dream anything, be anything. There was an entire world of possibilities open before you.

What happened to that child?

Mine disappeared long ago. Years of interactions with various well meaning (or otherwise) adults drove that child away. I grew up surrounded by people who were too “sensible” to have dreams, and they wanted me be that way, too. Any time a dream, idea, or fantasy surfaced, they would pounce on it, determined to kill it before it took hold. It was for my own good, they said.

What’s truly unfortunate is that every time someone told me I couldn’t do something because I wasn’t good enough, smart enough, or talented enough, I believed them. I believed them as a child and then as a young adult. And finally I went out on my own in the world, believing that I just shouldn’t even try. What was the use?

Now I’m a well-practiced adult, and I’m having to teach myself about dreams again. I’m telling you, it’s kind of tough. All those years of programming have taken their toll. But I’m working on it.

I’m starting to believe in myself again. I’m embracing the possibilities. And I’m going to be successful, in these and so many other things:

I am a writer. I’m a good writer. Soon I will be a well-paid writer.

I will run a marathon, and I will not die trying. In fact, I’m going to enjoy it!

I am a happy person. (Okay, I’m becoming a happy person…it can’t all happen overnight.)

This can work. Really. Don’t let the negative scripts from your past direct your future.

No comments: