Friday, July 22, 2011

Is it really too much to expect?

Today's post is food related, though not specifically related to gluten.  However, transparancy in food labeling can only ultimately benefit us all.

I read an interesting article today on food labeling in the meat industry.  Meat is one of my favorite things these days since going Primal, so I sat up and took notice.

Mystery Meat No More?

The USDA has proposed a requirement that any additives or enhancements added to meat products be CLEARLY stated in the name of the product (emphasis added by me).

Currently, extra ingredients must be listed, but are often in teeny, tiny print.  I have often noticed and complained about this.  As someone who reacts to all sorts of things that are added to foods as "flavor enhancements," nothing, including meat products, goes into my grocery cart unless the label has been triple checked.  I am looking forward to the new labels, because they will make my life a lot easier.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with salt and water being added to a chicken.  Juicy chicken is a good thing.  I just prefer that everything we eat be additive free.  So the new labeling rules will make it easier for me to ensure that the only thing in my chicken, beef or pork is chicken, beef, or pork.  I do know people that specifically buy injected meats, because they like the flavor and texture.  And that's cool, too.  Now they will have an easier time of picking out the cuts they want.

What I do have a problem with is how companies seem to be trying to hide this information.  By printing their additive lists in microscopic print, it appears they are trying to pull one over on their customers. And that's not cool.

After all, when I find out someone is trying to hide one thing from me, I start wondering what other things they are trying to hide from me.  I'm just sayin'...

No comments: