Friday, August 26, 2011

My gluten-free weekend preview

I'm so excited about food this weekend! 

Okay, I know that's nothing new.  I'm always excited about food.  But this weekend there are a couple of things going on that I'm really looking forward to.

First, let's just say it: coconut flour!  If you've been following along on my other blog, you've already heard about this.  But that doesn't make me any less excited.  I think I'm going to make bread or biscuits.  Something savory.  Not that I don't want cookies...don't be silly.  But lately I've been craving something, well, bready.  I've found a couple of recipes and I'm going to try them out over the weekend.  Watch Li Loves David next week for recipes.

Next, it's a UFC weekend, which means: Duffy's!  Duffy's has a great gluten-free menu, and they even have primal-friendly choices.  I love to cook, but sometimes, it's just nice to let someone else do the dishes, ya know?

Finally, in a word: s'mores!  You heard me, s'mores!  S'mores! S'mores!  Say it with me, S'MORES!!

(No, I'm not very excited this...)

I was offered a free sample of Kinnikinnick's S'moreables, their gluten-free graham style cracker. Now, I don't normally eat things like this anymore, now that I'm following the Paleo Blueprint.  But you know me, self-less to the core.  So I decided to take one for the gluten-free team, and graciously accepted the sample. 

My box arrived this week.  I took one look at the ingredients, and realized that when I eat them, I'm going to be in a world of hurt.  Not only do they contain rice flour and all kinds of sugar, which I now stay away from...they also have pea protein, pea starch, potato starch, pea fiber, tapioca starch, guar gum, and soy lecithin.  Any one of those ingredients would mean a stomach ache.  All of them together?  Well...

But I did promise to try them, and write a review.  Plus, I admit it, I'm curious how they taste.  So I'm still gonna eat them.  And I thought, if they are going to cause a reaction anyway, why not go all in?  Why not make s'mores?  That's right, I said it.  I went there!  Chocolate candy bars (soy lecithin) and marshmallows (too many things to list) cause reactions for me, too.  So I'll just enjoy them all together!  S'mores at my house!

Tune in next week, either here or at Li Loves David, for the outcome.  And have a great weekend!

No comments: