Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Slow is good

So I'm feeling pretty stupid today.

I think I mentioned before that I'm a slow runner.  By definition, most people refer to anyone who runs slower than 10 minute miles, or 6 miles per hour, as a slow runner.  A guy named John Bingham has capitalized on this, creating a name those of us "back of the pack" runners: penguins.

I'm proud to be a penguin!  Really, I am.

But I was hoping that someday I wouldn't be the slowest penguin out there.

This summer, with regular training and 18 months of base miles behind me, I decided to make my move.  I was going to go from the back of the back of the pack to the middle of the back of the pack.  Eventually, I would move to the front of the back of the pack.

No problem, right?  Just throw in a little speed work here and there, and start running a smidge faster.

And it worked for a couple of weeks.  I went from a 12 minute mile to an 11:45 min mile.  Then an 11:30 minute mile.  One day, on a shorter run, I pushed the whole way, and actually avereaged 10:59 minute per mile.

Oh, the joy!  I was speeding up!

And my legs were feeling it.  Did you know that going faster than you are used to, whether that means 5 min miles instead of 6 or 11:30 minute miles instead of 12, puts a lot of strain on your hamstrings?

Um, well, I didn't.  But now I know.  And I also know (now) not to run on a strained hamstring.  But I didn't know that a week ago.

So now I'm nursing an aching hammy, and am thoroughly cursing my own stupidity.  Plus, I'm in withrawal...no runner's high since Monday!  Not yesterday, not today, probably not tomorrow or Friday either.  I really need a fix...

But I also really need to heal this hammy.  I have a 9 mile run scheduled for Saturday, and my marathon training plan doesn't allow for a lot of wiggle room.  So I'm resting my leg now.  And going crazy.

Laughter helps - today someone shared this video.  What a riot!  Although, a couple of times, I wondered if someone had bugged my house.  Some of it hits a little close to home...



I am a runner!

No comments: